Sunday, January 6, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

 Release date: January 10th, 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Age group: Young Adult
Pages: 313
Overall: 5/5 star
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. 

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. 

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.
First off, happy new year! I hope 2013 is being good to you all so far!

I recently reread John Green's The Fault in Our Stars and realized I never did a review of it and I thought, what a great way to ring in the new year!

If you haven't read a John Green book yet, drop the computer/phone/whatever you are reading this blog post on and go buy one. Like right now. The Fault in Our Stars has worked it's way to the top of many bestseller lists and in every way deserves all the praise it's gotten, my review can't encompass the impact this novel has had on me and no matter how much praise I give it, it will not be enough.

The characters of Augustus Waters and Hazel Grace Lancaster are not only beautifully written, but they are also very raw and human. These characters are very similar to me and my friends and throughout reading I posted a multitude of pictures on my blog in effort to back up that Augustus Waters and I are the same person. The way John Green has written this story you forget that these kids are any different from you because they aren't which makes the ending of this story even more heartbreaking.

I don't think I can give Green enough praise in this review except to say if you are at all on the fence about reading The Fault in Our Stars, please read it, it's worth it I promise.

I'm sorry for the short review but I guess I don't have any more to add.

READ THE BOOK (keep a box of Kleenex handy)

Writing: 5/5 
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 5/5

xoxo,
Shelbie

1 comment:

  1. High, girl.
    I gotta lotta tantalizing,
    mellifluous,
    zooillogical
    illustrations on 21 blogs…
    and I’m more than happy to share,
    to give to you what God has granted me - a steward
    in this finite existence, this lifelong demise:

    Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love.
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
    (what I write);
    God believes in you, girl.
    God. Blessa. Youse -Fr. Sarducci, ol SNL
    Meet me Upstairs where the Son never goes down…

    ReplyDelete